Does your life not feel quite right? Do you want to make changes in your life to improve how you’re feeling but don’t quite know what to do, how to start, or where to go? Are you overwhelmed with feelings of helplessness, confusion, agitation, isolation, worry, sadness, and loss of meaning or purpose? Are these feelings manifesting in some unruly ways? If so, individual psychotherapy may be right for you.
Life can get very hard and very complicated very quickly. As we continuously become and develop as people we face very difficult choices and challenges that have real consequences for our personal lives and relationships. Whether you’ve had a traumatizing experience, are flooded with overwhelming and unwanted feelings, or you have unhealed wounds from your past, you are still a future directed human being who has to create yourself whether you like it, want to, or not. My psychotherapy services are helpful to those who are struggling to understand who they are (their feelings, thinking, behaviors, patterns, etc.) and how to change by becoming the person they want to be and feel like.
Most people I work with on an individual basis come to me tending to be struggling with:
- Life transitions: identity shifts, confusion, and crisis; wanting or needing to change but not knowing how; struggling to move forward in life; struggling to move on from the past; feeling lost, stuck, afraid, or overwhelmed with confusion
- Existential issues: loneliness, angst, emptiness, fear, lack of meaning, struggling to know yourself
- Emotional & psychological distress: depression, anxiety, mood swings, nervousness
- Shame: difficulty valuing or accepting yourself; feeling unlovable, worthless, guilty, or to blame; self doubt
- Unhealed wounds from childhood
- Difficulty sleeping
- Resorting to excessive substance use
- Codependency: struggling to strike a healthy balance between individuality and togetherness with others
- Unwanted thoughts: racing thoughts, unable to understand yourself and your patterns, feeling helpless
- Struggling to make choices
- Strained relationships with loved ones
As I explain in greater detail on my About Therapy page, I see my role as your therapist as one that tries to see you in a holistic way through dialogue so that you may better see yourself (your patterns, meaning behind your experience, etc.) and create the person that you want to become through resonant insight and future choices.
As we work together, I will encourage you to speak freely about your past (the good, the bad, and the ugly). In doing so, you may remember things that you haven’t thought of for years. I find that talking about those times, even when you don’t see how they may be pertinent to our sessions, can yield highly beneficial information for us to work with. In the process I will encourage you to go deeper into these memories while checking in during the present moment to see what physical and psychological feelings come up for you. These moments tend to bring a new found sense of awareness that is helpful to many people need as they move forward in life.
For individual clients who have difficulty getting to my office for personal or logistical reasons, I offer online video and phone sessions on Wednesdays.
For more information about individual psychotherapy or to schedule an initial session 50% off, please contact me at 510-329-8674.